Source: Google+ Sign Up Page | Official Website
Powered by Google, Googe+ is also considered as one of the youngest social media sites on the Web. Although some users don’t like it, the social network is viewed by others as a challenge by Facebook’s domination. Having over 90 million users and an increasing influence on search, Google+ has definitely emerged as a key player in the online marketing space.
Google+ Quick Facts
Of course, before you can use Google+ for your social media marketing campaign, you need to familiarize yourself first with this kind of network. Listed below are Google+ quick facts, as posted by HubSpot:
- Pages can be created for various entities and purposes, while a profile can only be made for people.
- Everything listed on the Google+ Page is viewable to the public by default.
- Pages have +1 button, which works similar to Facebook Page’s “Like.”
- Unlike Facebook Pages, Google+ Pages don’t receive notifications via email, SMS, or in the Google bar.
- Pages cannot add people to their Circles unless they are added or mentioned.
- Pages cannot mention a user unless he or she is connected.
- Google+ Pages cannot share their “Extended Circles.”
- Pages cannot +1 other pages or content on the Web.
- Google+ Page automatically unfollow a user when it is unfollowed.
- Each Local Page has a special field that lets potential followers and audience to easily locate the business’ physical store.
Why Google+ Matters
It may not provide efficient user experience similar to Facebook, but Google+ can contribute something to a brand’s social media marketing campaign.
Google+ allows users to create business page and build relationships with target audience on multiple levels. They can also add a page on a specific Google+ Circle, share it with their network, and interact with its content. For example, users can +1 (their own version of Like or Recommend) the updates published by a brand. They can also comment, upload photos, and tag the brand in their content.
What also makes Google+ unique is its Hangouts feature. It enables brands and companies to engage with their fans and prospects with the help of video chat. According to Dennis Troper, product management director of Google:
“We want to help you make the same kinds of lasting connections with your customers online the way you can in real life.”
It may not beat up Facebook’s popularity, but Google+ can help you keep your fans engaged to your brand. Plus, it can help you rank your content on its search engine.